Starting a New Site
Girls on the Run (GOTR) programs are conducted at public, private and charter schools in the bay area, as well as in partnership with community-based organizations, such as the YMCA and Boys and Girls Clubs.
We offer 10-week programs in the fall or spring seasons. Each team is open to between 8 and 16 girls.
GOTR provides the following program support:
- A 10-week curriculum, designed by experts to be fun for girls and easy to implement for adults
- All program materials and supplies
- Coach training and certification, and support throughout the season
- End-of-season Girls on the Run 5K for all girls in the program
- Full insurance coverage
New sites must provide the following to be considered for a GOTR program:
- A Site Contact (see Contact Role Description for a description of this person's role)
- Program support and approval from the school principal, assistant principal, or site director
- A safe, dedicated outdoor space for running
- A track is preferred, but a field or black top is also acceptable
- The designated area should be separate from other activities
- The program meets for 75 minutes a day, two times per week, for ten weeks
- Secure storage area for program supplies, snacks, etc.
- A consistent rain location that is indoors and private
- A gym that is reserved for GOTR and separate from other programs is preferred
- A participant recruitment plan and its execution
- GOTR will provide marketing collateral and a plan template
- Registration of no less than 8 and no more than 16 girls
- Three coach candidates who will be trained by Girls on the Run.
Coach candidates must:
- Be available for the 20 program dates/times over the 10 week program
- Participate in the Girls on the Run 5K at the end of the season
- Attend and get certified at the four hour GOTR coach training
- Be fingerprinted and have a current TB test (in the last four years)
To Start a Program in the Bay Area:
- Review the site liaison and coach expectations and responsibilities.
- Complete the New Program Application.
Contact Program Director Natalie Langsdorf at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Interested in starting a program outside of the Bay Area? Please visit GOTR International.