Starting a New Site
Girls on the Run (GOTR) programs are conducted at public, private and charter schools in the bay area, as well as in partnership with community-based organizations, such as the YMCA and Boys and Girls Clubs.
We offer 10-week programs in the fall or spring seasons. Each team is open to between 8 and 16 girls. We are able to bring on a limited number of new teams each season as our budget allows. Submit your new application early for consideration to increase the likelihood of being added for your preferred season.
GOTR provides the following program support:
- A 10-week curriculum, designed by experts to be fun for girls and easy to implement for adults
- All program materials and supplies
- Coach training and certification, and support throughout the season
- End-of-season Girls on the Run 5K for all girls in the program
- Full insurance coverage
New sites must provide the following to be considered for a GOTR program:
- A Site Contact (see Contact Role Description for a description of this person's role)
- Program support and approval from the school principal, assistant principal, or site director
- A safe, dedicated outdoor space for running
- A track is preferred, but a field or black top is also acceptable
- The designated area should be separate from other activities
- The program meets for 75 minutes a day, two times per week, for ten weeks
- Secure storage area for program supplies, snacks, etc.
- A consistent rain location that is indoors and private
- A gym that is reserved for GOTR and separate from other programs is preferred
- A participant recruitment plan and its execution
- GOTR will provide marketing collateral and a plan template
- Registration of no less than 8 and no more than 16 girls
- Three coach candidates who will be trained by Girls on the Run.
Coach candidates must:
- Be available for the 20 program dates/times over the 10 week program
- Participate in the Girls on the Run 5K at the end of the season
- Attend and get certified at the four hour GOTR coach training
- Be fingerprinted and have a current TB test (in the last four years)
To Start a Program in the Bay Area:
- Review the site liaison and coach expectations and responsibilities.
- Complete the New Program Application.
Contact Program Director Natalie Langsdorf at email@example.com with any questions.
Interested in starting a program outside of the Bay Area? Please visit GOTR International.